Saturday, January 19, 2013

Foods and Ingredients to Avoid



Here are two lists of the foods and ingredients that I completely avoid and that I minimize.  All are either man-made, heavily processed, or is some way severely altered by man. These items are not listed in order of importance (for instance, I avoid item #11 equally as much as item #1).  I will be gradually providing links that provide more details about why I have chosen each of these items.

don't eat foods that:

1.  contain artificial ingredients: colors, flavors, sweeteners, sulfites, preservatives, BHT(BHA), nitrates/nitrites, etc.
2.  contain monosodium glutamate (MSG) or any of the many other names for free glutamate (yeast extract, autolyzed or hydrolyzed ____, etc.)
3.  are enriched or fortified.
4.  contain high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).
5.  contain hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats and oils.
6.  are genetically modified foods (GMO).
7.  contain non-organic soy or corn - because almost all soy and corn grown in the USA is GMO.
8.  are made from unfermented soy such as soy oil - even if organic.
9.  are chemically altered (bleached, homogenized, etc.).
10.  are minimized nutritionally when better alternatives are readily available. (For instance, I never buy low-fat or nonfat dairy products, white rice, etc.).
11.  contain sugar in sweets (refined, white, cane, brown, raw, etc.).
12.  are in Styrofoam.

I minimize eating foods that:

1.  contain wheat flour (the name for white flour on ingredient lists).
2.  contain 'salt' (I choose items which list sea salt when available).
3.  contain sugar in condiments (refined, white, cane, brown, raw, etc.).
4.  are conventionally raised (factory-farm meats, seafood, and dairy).
5.  contain caffeine (teas and chocolates).
6.  are pasteurized.
7.  contain natural flavorings, spices, or seasonings (can be a source of hidden MSG).


These guidelines eliminate most man-processed foods from my diet. I realize that I may occasionally be eating some of the foods on my NEVER list when eating out, but I completely avoid them at home and eat out at a limited number of restaurants which use natural, fresh ingredients. When eating out, I never eat anything that 'looks' fake or man-made. When my sons were young, they were taught that if the food looks a fake color, it probably is fake. This is a great test to help kids and all of us avoid the worst foods. This applies to all the colored icings, cookies, ice creams, popsicles, drinks, sprinkles, chips, snacks, etc. that are so readily available everywhere.  Item # 3 is in the minimize list because of the small amount of sugar contained in condiments such as ketchup.  As a sugaraholic, I choose food sweetened with natural sweeteners such as honey, maple syrup, dates, or molasses which do not have the same addictive power over me.

"Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom." Proverbs 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment