Sunday, March 17, 2013

Dutch Apple Pancake

 
This is a new recipe I made for breakfast this morning.  It was very delicious. 
 
Know what you have in your refrigerator and use those items that are getting old before you have to throw them out.  Today I had some apples that were mealy and extra eggs (eggs are in season in the spring) so I looked on-line for some ideas and modified a recipe for a Dutch Apple Pancake.  I doubled the recipe I've given you below.  This would be great in a large 9" or 10" glass round pie dish.  (I baked it in my rectangular glass baking dishes because they fit into my small oven.)
 
Ingredients:
 
2 organic apples
2 Tbl. pure honey
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
 
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (1/2 cup soft white wheat berries, ground fine)
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp. grated orange rind
 
3 large eggs, fork beaten
3/4 cups milk
1 Tbl melted sweet cream butter
1 tsp vanilla
 
~ 1 Tbl. additional butter
 
Preheat oven to 425 °F.  Place baking dish in oven.
 
Cut apples into chunks (don't peel) and place in a bowl.  Pour honey over cut apples and sprinkle on cinnamon.  Stir well, coating all of the apples with honey.  Set aside.
 
Combine flour and sea salt in a large bowl.  In another bowl, combine the milk and eggs.  Stir the melted butter into the egg mixture, and lastly add the vanilla.
 
Pour liquid mixture into dry mix and whisk together.
 
Remove hot preheated dish from the oven and coat well with butter (using about 1 Tbl).  Next spread the apple mix and any juice along the bottom and then pour batter over apples.  Place immediately in oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until puffed and set well.

1 comment:

  1. I made this recipe today, and it was very good. Thanks, Mary!

    ReplyDelete