Thursday, July 25, 2013

Fresh Salsa


Enjoy wonderful fresh salsa with some organic corn tortilla chips.  Simple to make and delicious - the type of recipe I love best!  Since I have a garden, I splurge on amazing snacks and meals like this frequently in the summer.
 
I know I am very blessed with a garden.  I was recently made aware of this blessing when a friend commented at a Bible Study, "Wow, look at those tomatoes.  They are so red, they almost look fake.  The tomatoes I buy at the store are not red like that."  I am so grateful for her comment because I had started to take my tomatoes for granted.  It made my heart sing praises of thankfulness to our God for such a wonderful blessing of fresh produce He has provided to me right outside in my yard.
 
Nothing tastes better than produce just harvested from a garden.  If you don't have a garden, find a source for locally grown produce; summer is the time to visit one of the many farmer's markets that are in almost every community.   
 
Since most corn grown in the USA is genetically modified (GMO), I only eat foods made with organic, non GMO corn.  Splurge on good quality organic corn tortilla chips - it does make a difference to your health.  Read about my 'corn' experience.
 
Ingredients:
 
2 Tbl yellow onion, diced fine
2 green onions, chopped
~ 2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced (I used red and yellow pear tomatoes)
2 - 6 fresh jalapenos (quantity will determine how hot it is)
~ 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
 
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp raw, unfiltered honey
3/4 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp ground cumin
a pinch of freshly ground pepper
 
Chop up vegetables and place in a bowl.  Mix oil, honey and seasonings together in a separate small bowl.  Pour over chopped vegetables and stir until coated evenly.  Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment