Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Weekly Challenge - Week 27 (July 2, 2013)

Find three deals on different organic/local fruits or vegetables.
 


Find and buy at least three different organic/local fruits or vegetables that are in season.  Then enjoy them!  So easy, so delicious.  This is the time of year that there is an abundance of excellent produce, and nothing tastes better than produce that has been ripened in season on the vine, rather than picked too early and shipped half way around the world.

Remember that what is in season will typically:

1.  Be on sale and a great price
2.  Displayed on the end cap
3.  Look and smell really good

 I purchased my three produce items (shown in the top photo) at Whole Foods this week.  I bought organic plums, blackberries and green bell peppers.  I am enjoying one of my plums as I write this post.  It is delicious. 
 
 
 
Organic fruit's bar code number always starts with a '9'.  If you are not sure what to buy organic, refer back to the post, To Buy Organic Produce or Not.  With so much excellent quality produce available, look carefully at the store to see what they have.  Try not to shop just off your grocery list, especially for your fruit because you don't know what they will have when you make up your list.  For example,  if you have grapes on your list, you might grab the conventional grapes (grapes and berries are two of the fruits that you never want to buy conventional because they are loaded with pesticides and are on the dirty dozen list.)  Instead, look for deals of the week and be flexible. 

My current guideline for buying produce is to find those organic items that are $1.99 or less a pound.    Or I watch prices and buy when expensive things like the organic blackberries are a greatly reduced price from normal.
 
This 1-pint carton of organic blackberries was $4.99 which in normally the price of a 1/2-pint.  The organic plums were $1.99 per pound and the organic green bell peppers were $1.25 each.
 
............

I wrote the above part of this post of Saturday after my shopping loop last Thursday.  If you don't have a 'shopping loop' yet, I've listed some of the stores I frequent for you in this post, Using 100% Real Food Ingredients.  Yesterday (Monday), I needed a few ingredients for a Bible study dinner, so I did a mini shopping loop, going to Market Street in Allen and Costco in Plano.  I LOVE this time of year - so many great deals at the stores. 
 
Though I did not have many items on my grocery list after shopping just last Thursday, I bought all of the wonderful special things I saw.  We eat lots of fresh produce and I will plan my meals around these items.  We will enjoy a mango-banana lassi, strawberry lemonadepuffed pancake and a large fruit salad now to name just a few of the special treats for the week. 
 
In addition to the standard items on my grocery list (organic lettuce, organic spinach, avocados at Costco and organic celery, organic green onions, and organic carrots at Market Street), I found many other great deals, shown below.  The wonderful local cantaloupe were on special at Market Street for $1.29 each - I bought three!  The organic mango was $1.79.  The large tub of organic strawberries was $4.47.  I bought the organic blueberries at Costco, which also had large tubs of organic strawberries, but I had already bought two at Market Street.
 
 
Be a smart shopper and enjoy the abundant, luscious summer produce.  It is not hard to find great deals this time of the year.  Be sure to buy what is in season.  The grapefruit and apples that were so abundant and delicious a few months ago are no longer in season.  Have fun shopping and enjoy what you find!
 
"He (God) makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for people to cultivate— bringing forth food from the earth:"  Psalm 104:14

No comments:

Post a Comment