Saturday, August 24, 2013

Cucumber Salad with Dill Dressing


This is an old recipe modified from one of the first cookbooks that I bought and actually used.  It is important to find a cookbook that you like.  How do I determine if I like a cookbook?  I make one or two recipes out of it and if we don't like them - I usually don't try anything else in the book.  But if we do like or love them, I keep trying more of the recipes.  This recipe came from a cookbook by Maryana Vollstedt, What's For Dinner?.  I will share how I modify recipes with you soon.
 
Ingredients:
 
1 large or 2 medium organic cucumbers, peeled
1/4 red onion, sliced thin and separated
1/2 organic red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
Dill dressing (recipe follows)
 
Dill Dressing:
 
2 Tbl light sour cream
1 Tbl plain whole milk yogurt
1/4 Tbl raw apple cider vinegar
1/4 Tbl fresh lemon juice (from an organic lemon)
1/2 tsp raw unfiltered honey
1/4 tsp dill weed (or 1 Tbl fresh dill, chopped fine)
1/4 tsp sea salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
 
Peel cucumbers (and remove any excessive seeds).  Slice into rounds and then quarter rounds.  Place in bowl with red onion and red bell pepper.  Prepare dressing and mix with the vegetables.  Cover and chill until ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment