Thursday, August 29, 2013

Roasted Okra


Okra is in season in the summer and is a wonderful addition to chicken sausage gumbo or to stews.  Okra is a very interesting vegetable because once cut, it is very slimy.  This quality helps thicken stews and gumbo if you add about 1/2 to 1 cup of sliced okra to the dish with the other vegetables. 



I planted my okra very late in my garden this year and it is just now starting to produce (and only a couple plants).  But just one plant can give a significant quantity so I was also looking for a way to fix okra that would use larger quantities.  Jennifer came up with this recipe and it was delicious.  I could have fixed two to three times as much for the three of us!

Ingredients:

10 - 20 okra, sliced
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt (freshly ground)
pepper (freshly ground)

Preheat oven to 425 °F.  Wash and dry okra.  Cut off ends and slice about 1/4" thick.  Place sliced okra in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.  Toss well with oil.  Add a bit more oil if needed until all slices are slightly coated (I did not measure but probably a couple tablespoons depending on how much okra you have).  While still in bowl, season with freshly ground sea salt and pepper.  Place okra on a cookie sheet (I used a ceramic stone cookie sheet) and bake in preheated 425 °F oven for 15 minutes.  Serve immediately.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment