Sunday, September 21, 2014

More Experimenting and thinking out-of-the-box!


Remember those biscuits shown with the country soup?  Well, they were the other part of my experimenting that day. 


Starting with my sweet cream biscuit recipe, I decided to try my new bag of wheat.  Part of my experimenting is to buy new items of excellent quality (things that are minimally processed or altered by man) when they are on sale.  Below is a photo of the bag of Kamut that I purchased.   I have purchased cereals with kamut and did not realize it was an ancient wheat grain when I bought it.  I was thrilled to see the label on the bag.


Luckily, we love this wheat since I bought a 25 pound bag!  It is our new favorite wheat - I have used it in my pumpkin waffles, toad-in-a-hole, dutch apple pancake, etc.  It is an excellent wheat for fall because it has a deep rich orangish hue and its flavor is wonderful.  My guys keep asking if I have added a little pumpkin to my creations (another abundant crop this year from our garden) but typically I have not.  I purchased it from Azure Standard.

The other part of my experiment for these biscuits was to add shredded pear since we have a bumper crop this year of pears.

Recipe:  Sweet Cream Biscuit recipe, substituting Kamut berries for soft white wheat berries plus 1/2 cup peeled and finely shredded pear.  (I did not add any other of the optional ingredients - no honey or squash.)

These 100% whole grain biscuits turned out great, rising nicely.  An excellent treat topped with homemade butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment