Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Twelve Days of Christmas



Sandy, my Bible study teacher, suggested doing the twelve days of Christmas song this year for our husbands.  This is what she suggested:
 
As I was listening to the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas", it dawned on me that my dear, sweet husband has no need for a "partridge in a pear tree" or "ten lords a leaping"!  So, why not come up with my own version of this favorite Christmas song.

Starting the twelve days before Christmas,(Dec. 13th),  I plan to surprise my husband with some act of kindness/love each day until Dec. 25th.  It doesn't have to be anything big and I don't have to necessarily buy anything.  It will be small expressions of my love for him that, hopefully, will make each day special for him.  I am already getting excited about making "my list" of things I want to do for him during these 12 days!
 
I immediately loved the idea upon reading her email and started planning.  I started on December 14th and will finish Christmas Day.  You can also start on Christmas Day as day one and continue for twelve days total (in case you think this is a cool idea and want to try it too this year).
 
Today is day six and I did - "six snacks for munching".  What a wonderful surprise for Fred after working outside all afternoon cutting up limbs that had fallen in the ice storm.  Feeding my family good food, foods that God has provided that are healthy and nourishing (vs. man-made processed foods filled with cheap fat, salt and sugar) is very important to me this time of year.
 
My six snacks for him were:  Clementine sections, Brazil nuts, pomegranate seeds, chocolate chunks, frozen raspberries (from our garden last summer), and some of his trail mix.
 
This has been so fun - just a few days are food related.  Day three was "three meals together" and I fixed three of his favorite meals that day.  Coming up is "eight cookies a baking" - shhh!, don't tell him.  I will share with you the recipe for his favorite raspberry filled cookies when I make them. 
 
Whether or not you try "twelve days of Christmas" surprises for your true love, provide your family (and yourself) with some healthy snack options to enjoy after a busy day during this holiday season! 

No comments:

Post a Comment