Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Weekly Challenge - Week 51 (December 17, 2013)

Modify a recipe.


This slide was from the class I taught about five years ago on how to convert recipes, using God's ingredients instead of processed man-made ingredients. 
 
Learning to modify your favorite recipes and new ones that look good is an essential skill and takes just a bit of practice.  But in no time you will be amazed at just how easy it is and how much difference it can make in how you feel.  Most importantly, I think you will be amazed at how delicious what you are creating tastes.  It will give you a whole new understanding of the blessing excellent food is, not only for health, but for taste and enjoyment of meals. 

Involve your whole family, especially your children.  Buy the best quality ingredients that you can find and don't use any processed ingredients, especially those on list of foods/ingredients to avoid.

Here are a few guidelines which I use:

1.  FLOUR:  Use whole wheat pastry flour (or other whole grain flours) in place of white flour.  On the rare occasion I use a little white flour, I only use unbleached flour that has not been enriched, which I buy at Natural Grocer.  I grind my own whole wheat pastry flour and other whole grain flours.  When substituting whole wheat pastry flour, a little more liquid is required, but this works out o.k. since I replace the sugar with raw honey or maple syrup in my recipes.

2.  SWEETENER:  Replace all sugar (white or brown) with honey, maple syrup or dates (or other fruit).  I typically use 1/2 the amount of honey or maple syrup than the amount of sugar called for up to a maximum of 1/2 cup total in a recipe.  I like to limit the amount of even the natural sweeteners to 1/4 cup except for special treats, like brownies, which are very sweet and which we have only on special occasions. 

3.  MARGARINE:  Never use margarine, a man-made food.  Instead use real butter or good quality coconut oil.  I replace it one for one (i.e. 1/2 cup margarine, use 1/2 cup butter).

4.  CHEESE:  Use white cheeses only, preferably organic or European.  Never buy pre-shredded cheese, which contains anti-caking agents.  Grate your own.  Also, don't buy low-fat or nonfat cheese.  God did not make them this way.  I typically cut down on the amount of cheese I use in dishes. 

5.  DAIRY PRODUCTS:  Use only organic.  Also don't buy low-fat or nonfat dairy products.  As with cheese, God did not make them this way.  I use fresh milk with the cream skimmed off the top to make my yogurt, but when you buy low-fat versions from the store, they have been heavily processed.  I never used canned dairy products, but make my own from fresh milk (i.e. homemade whipped cream).

6.  SPICES and SAUCES:  Be very careful with pre-made spices and sauces that are used in recipes.  These often contain MSG (in all canned soups), as do most spices mixed that are not organic.  Be sure to read the labels.  Using things like single organic spices and fresh herbs, homemade broths and fresh cream, you can recreate everything you need to make a favorite recipe healthy.  Use real flavorings, never imitation.  

Here are two more slides from the classes I previously taught.  These are example of two recipes that I modified, showing you the original recipe and the modified one.  Try converting an easy, favorite recipe of yours this week and remember that it takes some practice to become skilled at something.  Take notes on your recipe of how you modified it and how it turned out.  As you will soon see, it is not difficult.  Be sure you have all of the correct ingredients on hand before you start.

Using the foods and ingredients, as God has provided for us, will result in health and well-being for you.  Seek God's ways, not man's.

"He who gets wisdom loves his own soul; he who cherishes understanding prospers."  Proverbs 19:8 


No comments:

Post a Comment