Thursday, April 4, 2013

Decadent Chocolate Custard





Oh, my goodness, Jon and I created this recipe yesterday afternoon, wanting something sweet that used eggs.  It was incredibly delicious!  We were inspired to make something with cocoa by Karen, who attended the last class, and shared her raw chocolate pudding creation with us. Hope you enjoy this dessert as much as we did. 

Ingredients:

3 large range-free eggs, fork-beaten
1 1/2 cups half and half (I used 3/4 cup fresh cream and 3/4 cup fresh milk)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 Tbl raw honey
3/4 tsp almond extract (not imitation)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
2 Tbl whole wheat pastry flour
almond slivers
fresh peppermint leaves (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Place eggs in a bowl and fork-beat.  Add the half and half, maple syrup, honey and almond extract.  Whisk until smooth.  Mix cocoa, sea salt and pastry flour together.  Gradually whisk into liquid mixture until smooth.


Place six custard cups into a pan and fill pan with water around cups (~ 1/3 way up outside of cup).  Pour custard mixture into cups and gently drop almond slivers on top.  Bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes until custard is set.  Allow to cool. 

 

Finely chop up about 5 fresh peppermint leaves and sprinkle on top (optional).  Enjoy while slightly warm if possible.

3 comments:

  1. This looks awesomely delicious!! What if you don't have custard cups? This looks like a great dessert for a brunch maybe for neighborhood ladies/widows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary I am glad my pudding recipe inspired you. Here is the pudding recipe:
    1 large banana
    1 small avocado
    2 tablespoon raw honey
    2 table spoon maple syrup
    1/2 cup coconut milk.
    Put everything in blender and mix until smooth and creamy. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Karen! I am going to go make a batch right now!!!

    Concerning your comment, Julie, I plan to experiment next week on just that issue. I want to make this for the next class in April and I only have 8 custard cups. So I will try it in a standard glass pie pan. Since the center is a little creamy, it may run and not be so pretty once cut. I will experiment on you next week at our team meeting :-). I'll post an update on the results.

    ReplyDelete