Friday, April 26, 2013

Multi-grain Pancakes


 
We love pancakes for breakfast and these have great flavor.  Don't forget to use a honey bear for your maple syrup.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup oat groats or 2/3 cup oat flour
1/2 cup soft white wheat berries or 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup buckwheat groats or 2/3 cup buckwheat flour
2 Tbl organic yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tps baking soda
1/2 tps sea salt
pinch cloves
pinch nutmeg
1 - 1 1/2 cups homemade kefir or buttermilk
2 eggs, fork beaten
1 Tbl pure maple syrup
2 Tbl melted butter

Grind groats and berries to a fine grind like pastry flour if you are grinding your own flours.  In a large bowl, mix together flours and other dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, mix eggs, honey, and kefir together.  (Adjust the amount of kefir or buttermilk to give you the correct pancake batter consistency.)  While stirring, add the melted butter.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet ingredients.  Slowly stir in the dry ingredients into the liquid to minimize flour clumps.  Stir until all flour is incorporated with the liquid.   Do not over stir.
 
Cook pancakes and serve warm with pure maple syrup or a fruit topping, such as Jon's pancake topping.

Try not to use a skillet or griddle that has a nonstick coating - purchase cast iron, the original nonstick cookware.  I cook my pancakes on an antique Griswold griddle that I found on Ebay.  I love actually using my antique kitchen items that I find!


 



3 comments:

  1. These look great. Can we get those dif. types of flours at whole foods/market street?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whole Foods and Natural Grocer has different types of flours. You could substitute other flours that you might have also, such as spelt or rice flour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love the flavor and texture of these pancakes! Because I had one banana left, I added it also. To balance that, I reduced the kefir to only 1 cup and added 2 splashes raw milk (probably 2 T --- just enough to thin the batter a tad). Also, I didn't have oat flour so I put 2/3 cup of organic rolled oats in my blender and made a coarse flour that way. :) The 2 T of organic corn meal really give these pancakes a different taste from ordinary. Oh, and I snuck in a few flax seeds too. YUM!

    ReplyDelete