Thursday, June 20, 2013

Buy in Season and Freeze


 
Since bags of frozen organic fruit are so expensive and often not that tasty since they are picked too early, I like to buy extras when they are in season and I find them at the stores and then freeze some.  Costco has recently had large tubs of organic strawberries.  So I have purchased several extra cartons and put several bags in the freezer.  We also finally have some raspberries from the garden, so I am putting the first bag of the season in the freezer (shown in the photo with another tub for the refrigerator).  I use new Ziploc bags, label them with the date, and then fill them with the fruit.  I rinse the fruit first and let it drip dry thoroughly.  For the strawberries that I put in the freezer last week, I cut off the tops and cut large ones in half so they fit together better in the bag.  I also love to freeze organic blueberries and organic peaches (which I deseed and slice) if I find them at a reasonable price.

Sweet and hot peppers also freeze well.  In the photo is one of the bags of frozen jalapenos still in the freezer from our garden last fall.  These are great when making refried beans (recipe coming soon), tortilla soup, Dudley's Calabaza Stew, etc.  Frozen red, orange, yellow, and green bell peppers are good if used in soups or stews or spaghetti.  So when you see a great sale on organic berries or peppers, or other fruits and vegetables that freeze well, think about buying some extra when in season and putting them in the freezer.  You will be happy you did next fall or winter!

1 comment: