Sunday, September 15, 2013

Quick and Easy Meals

 
Though I love to cook and try new recipes, dinners that I can prepare in 30 minutes or less are my favorite for my many, many busy days when I don't have a lot of time.  Meals you make from scratch do not have to be complex and use every dish and bowl you own.  Carrot sticks, celery sticks or a simple lettuce salad are items that can be quickly paired with any of the meal ideas below. Always try to complete your meal with a raw veggie.
 
This photo is from one of our homeschool trips in our little RV.  We traveled around the country and would be gone for a few weeks to a few months at a time.  As you can see, I had a tiny space to work in but I cooked all three meals each day from scratch.  We ate out an occasional lunch, typically at a deli in a natural grocery store.  I was able to find wonderful coop and natural food stores all around the country and kept our little pantry, refrigerator and freezer stocked with excellent quality ingredients. 
 
Essential to being able to prepare quick and easy meals is proper planning in advance.  You must have the ingredients on-hand already in your house, so be sure to keep your pantry, refrigerator and freezer stocked with those items you use regularly.  Also spend the little bit of extra time before you go to the grocery store(s) and make a meal planner.  I no longer do a weekly meal planner, but I did for years.  It can help to keep you on track. 

Be flexible while shopping and look for those great buys - sale items and produce in season.  Buy good quality ingredients for your quick meals - I often do a grocery store loop while I'm out and have fun finding great deals buying my FoodsbyGod ingredients. 
 
30-Minute or Less Meal Ideas:
 
Tom's Quesadillas

and don't forget about leftovers.  Make a double batch of soups and stews and casseroles, like baked spaghetti squash.  Many of these foods taste better the second time they are heated up and it takes no effort to reheat them.  Eat well even when you have limited time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment