Monday, September 23, 2013

Waffle and Smoothie Lunch




Yesterday's To_Go_Lunch idea, a salad, may not be an option for your child's school lunch, but today's lunch idea is a very kid friendly option (even for big kids like me!).  I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in my school lunch almost everyday growing up so even to this day, I don't really enjoy a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  But there is something special about nut butter on a waffle... 

 
 

 
I love my gluten-free waffle recipe and thus whenever I make waffles, I make extras and freeze them.  After the extras have thoroughly cooled to room temperature on a cooling rack, I put waxed paper between them and seal them in a Ziploc bag and put them in the freezer.  They reheat easily in the toaster or if you are packing a lunch, they don't need to be thawed.
 


 
I like to use different nut butters, not just peanut butter, on my waffles.  My current favorite is raw walnut butter (but it is VERY expensive!).  Raw almond butter is also a good choice plus there are many other kinds of nut butters.  I typically buy organic nut butters.  Also, be sure to read the label.  Many nut butters contain sugar - don't buy those.  I like to buy the ones that are packaged in glass jars.
 
If you are packing a lunch, put nut butter on both pieces of waffle and then sandwich the pieces together.  I like just the nut butter on the waffle, but you can also drizzle on a bit of raw honey.
 
With this lunch, I have packed some fresh organic raspberries that were on sale at Costco last week (a special treat for my raspberry loving guys) and some raw carrot sticks.
 
I have also made a yogurt smoothie which I've poured into a thermos.  A nice, wide-mouth thermos (as shown in the photo) is an essential item if you pack lunches.  It can be used for cold or hot foods.  Be sure to pre-chill your thermos with ice water before filling with your smoothie and your smoothie will still taste great hours later.   There are many, many different smoothie possibilities - experiment and have fun creating your own favorites.  


No comments:

Post a Comment