Friday, May 24, 2013

Oatmeal



Oatmeal is a simple, easy breakfast to make.  It is especially good in the winter because it warms you on a cool morning but we eat it year-round since I make my own butter.  We drink fresh raw milk, thus the cream comes to the top and then I skim it off.  I make butter when I get enough cream to make about a pound of butter, which is about once a week or cream from about two gallons of milk.  When I make sweet cream butter, I use the liquid that is left to make my oatmeal. I place the liquid from making butter in my measuring cup and then add filtered water for the rest of the liquid needed (the ratio is about 1/3 milk to 2/3 water). 
 
 
 

I cook my oatmeal slowly.  Since I get up early, I start it cooking an hour or two before my family is ready for breakfast.  This allows me to stir it infrequently without it burning on the bottom of the pot.  I can then do other things away from the kitchen while it cooks .  

Ingredients (quantity I make for my family of 4):

2.5 cups rolled oats (not quick)
7 cups filtered water/milk mixture
1/4 tsp sea salt
 
2 Tbl coconut oil
~ 1 Tbl maple syrup (optional)
~ 1 Tbl freshly ground flax seed
 
Garnish:
ground walnuts
organic raisins
organic blueberries, fresh or frozen

Place oats, water and sea salt into a heavy pot (don't use aluminum or one with a non-stick coating) and turn on lowest heat setting.  Stir infrequently (the more you stir, the quicker it will be done).  Some days I am working in the kitchen or getting it started late, so I stir every 5 minutes or so; other days I stir every 30 minutes or so.  Oatmeal is very forgiving when cooked on a low heat setting.
 

When a thick consistency, turn off heat and add the coconut oil, maple syrup, and ground flax seed.  Stir well and dish into bowls.  We garnish our bowls of oatmeal with ground walnuts, raisins, and/or blueberries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment