Sunday, May 5, 2013

Treat Poison Ivy with Jewelweed


 
I have heard how effective jewelweed is in treating poison ivy, but this week I had a chance to test it.  I got mad at some poison ivy vines last weekend and was pulling it with gloves that had holes.  So, of course, poison ivy erupted a day later.

There are many different 'jewelweed' products available.  I bought the soap, shown in the photo, to shower with after working with poison ivy, as a preventive treatment.  I bought it to have on hand when needed.  This time, however, I used it as a salve once the poison ivy started.
 
I noticed the poison ivy developing when my hand started itching like crazy and a few bumps appeared.  I was going out to the garden, so decided to do a quick treatment on the way out the door.  I just wet the soap and slathered it on the itchy poison ivy spot.  I did not rinse it off, but left it to dry on my hand.  It immediately took away the itching. 


 
Later that day, after doing dishes, it started to get very itchy again, so I repeated the process.  Again, it immediately took away the itching.  I treated the area this way once or twice a day for about four days.  Sorry I don't have a better photo of the poison ivy, but it never developed (thank goodness). 
 
Now for an amazing fact.  Jewelweed typically grows near poison ivy!  I love to learn of the natural remedies, such as this, that God has provided.  This is not a food but many of the remedies are foods, herbs and spices, and most of which we typically have in our kitchens. 

Jewelweed is a member of the impatience family and does grow in Texas.  You can use the oil that you get by rubbing the stem of a stalk of fresh jewelweed on poison ivy also.  I am going to be on the look out for jewelweed today when in the field working; it likes growing conditions like ditches along roadways if you look for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment